| 13.4°C Dublin

Guest attacked at celebrity party loses fight for life

SINGER Jessie J said she was "lost for words" after a father of two died following a bottle attack at a star-studded party also attended by Georgia Salpa.

The Brit Award-winner performed at the function hosted by smartphone company BlackBerry before Phillip Sherriff was fatally wounded.

The married 37-year-old telecommunications professional, who was employed by the technology firm, died in hospital yesterday morning after a four-day battle to save his life.

The chart star and The Voice UK judge commented afterwards: "I am lost for words.

"All I can say is my thoughts, love and respects are with the family and children of the man who attended the blackberry gig last week who sadly lost his life this morning ... So sad."


Mr Sherriff from Preston, Lancashire, was rushed to the Royal London Hospital in the early hours of Wednesday morning after suffering a neck injury at the Pulse nightclub.

Medics were later forced to operate on his skull to remove pressure from an injury to his brain.

But the wounded man -- who remained in a critical condition -- died yesterday morning.

BlackBerry posted a message of condolence on its official UK Twitter page following the news.

It said: "We are deeply saddened to hear our colleague has died as a result of the attack on Tuesday 3rd April.

"Our thoughts are with his family and those close to him and we ask for the respect of their privacy at this difficult time."

A Scotland Yard spokesman said: "A post-mortem examination will be arranged in due course."

Mr Sherriff had been invited to the BlackBerry function in Southwark, central London, along with a string of celebrities. These included rapper Wretch 32, stars of The Only Way Is Essex and model and reality TV star Georgia Salpa.

Ashley Charles, a 25-year-old company director, was remanded in custody after he was charged over the attack which police are now investigating as murder.

Charles, of Nevanthon Road, Leicester, spoke only to confirm his name and date of birth when he appeared in the dock at Camberwell Green Magistrates' Court on Saturday, accused of attempted murder.

The defendant, dressed in a dark jumper and jeans, was ordered to attend Inner London Crown Court on April 20.

An application for bail was refused.