| 11.8°C Dublin

Groom hit uncle of the bride with iron at own wedding, court is told


Judge heard iron left ‘a dent’ on top of uncle’s skull

Judge heard iron left ‘a dent’ on top of uncle’s skull

Judge heard iron left ‘a dent’ on top of uncle’s skull

A groom at his own wedding reception assaulted an uncle of the bride with a clothes iron, hitting him over the head several times, a court has heard.

At Gort District Court, Brendan Cloherty (34), of Castlepark, Ballybane, Galway, pleaded guilty to two charges arising from the assault on Kevin Barry at the Lady Gregory Hotel in Gort on July 19 last year.

Mr Cloherty has pleaded guilty to assault causing harm.

The accused has also pleaded guilty to producing a weapon - a clothes iron - during the course of an assault that was likely to intimidate another person or was capable of inflicting serious injury.

Sergeant Daithí Cronin told the court that when gardaí arrived at the hotel, they established that "a serious altercation" had taken place.

Sgt Cronin said Mr Cloherty hit Mr Barry several times over the head with the iron, which he had taken from one of the hotel rooms.

He said Mr Barry made a statement to gardaí in September last year outlining the events.

Sgt Cronin said Mr Cloherty was subsequently interviewed by gardaí and admitted striking Mr Barry over the head with the iron.

He added that "all parties were intoxicated at the time".

In evidence and recalling the assault, Mr Barry told the court: "I didn't see him coming."

Asked what effect the assault has had on him, Mr Barry told the court he suffers from "short-term memory loss".

"If I'm about to do something, if I go out the door I have to come back in. I have to write everything down," he said.

"I have bad pains in my head. There were a few cuts to the head. There's an imprint on my skull. There's a dent on the top of the skull - you can put your finger on it."


When asked how he knew Mr Cloherty, Mr Barry said he "married my niece and I was invited to the wedding".

"I was invited to another niece's wedding, but I won't go," he said.

Judge Durcan said the initial medical report stated that on arrival at the hospital Mr Barry was intoxicated and drowsy.

Asked by the judge if he was badly injured on the night, Mr Barry replied: "Yes, I was."

His medical examination included X-rays and a CT scan, the judge said.

Asked by Judge Durcan if he had retained his own solicitor in the case, Mr Barry confirmed that he has his own solicitor.

"Has your solicitor suggested you have a case in the High Court for damages?" Judge Durcan asked.

"I'd say so, yeah," Mr Barry said.

The judge told the court he could not finalise the case until he has received up-to-date medical evidence.

He directed that medical rep-orts be provided by Mr Barry's GP and consultant urgently.

The judge said the initial medical report presented to court indicated there was no- thing wrong with Mr Barry "and he may have had too much of everything at the wedding".

He further remanded Mr Cloherty on continuing bail for sentence to Gort District Court on January 28.