| 12.8°C Dublin

Gran tied up and held at knifepoint in €50,000 robbery

A GRANDMOTHER was tied up and held at knife point as she returned home from the school run. Two raiders lay in wait for the woman, in her 50s, as she dropped a child off.

When she returned to her home in Sutton, Dublin at 8.20am, the raiders pounced and told her they “had” her grandchildren.

Her ordeal ended when the thieves – believed to be in their 20s – found up to €50,000 in cash and fled in a grey BMW 5 series.

It was just one of a spate of violent crimes in a 48-hour-period in which:

Two north Dublin criminals used a knife to threaten staff in a botched robbery from a Co Meath post office.

Staff and customers were terrorised at the College Green Bank of Ireland by shotgun wielding thugs who stole €2,000 before they hijacked a taxi.

Students at DCU were left terrified after a €1,000 cash-in-transit robbery on the north Dublin campus.

The victim of the aggravated burglary in Sutton, who is still recovering from her ordeal, declined to comment today.

The burglary happened in the Santa Sabina Manor estate.

In what was described as a planned robbery, the two robbers lay in wait for her as she did the school run.

They used a car with false registration plates, which was abandoned nearby a short time later.

The getaway car was a grey BMW 5 series with a 03-D false registration plate which was found abandoned on Lauders Lane, Burrow Road, Sutton.

It is believed the raiders may have changed cars at this location. They are described as a man in his 20s, with average height and build, navy tracksuit, baseball cap with a scarf over his face.

He had a Dublin accent and carried the knife. The second man was in his 20s and of average height and build.

Meanwhile, a manhunt is underway for four armed raiders who escaped with around €3,000 after two separate robberies in the capital.

Detectives are searching for the suspects, while two other bungling thugs have been questioned by gardai after a botched post office robbery at Clonalvy, Co Meath, yesterday.

Three of the armed raids happened within the space of just four hours yesterday between 9.45am and 1.45pm.

Sources say that there is no link between the robberies.

In the first incident, a postmistress was threatened with a knife and around €4,000 was taken from the post office at Clonalvy.

She was forced to lock herself in a shed to escape.

However, her son arrived at the scene as the criminals from Coolock and Santry were trying to make their getaway and he managed to smash in the windscreen of their vehicle.

The panicked gangsters dropped the cash and fled on foot before kicking in the door of a nearby house – where they put a knife to the throat of a woman until she handed over her car keys. They escaped in her car which they crashed 20 yards down the road.

Uninjured, the raiders then tried to escape on foot through fields but by this time the garda helicopter was scrambled and the two criminals in their 20s were arrested at around 11am.

One was released without charge last night.

Minutes after these suspects were arrested, two men – one armed with a sawn-off shotgun and the other with a handgun – walked into the Bank of Ireland branch at College Green at 11.40am. Shocked staff at the foreign exchange counter were threatened by the gunmen and ordered to hand over cash. The raiders grabbed €2,000 in dollars and sterling and quickly left the bank.

They ran out a side entrance and dashed on to College Green desperately trying to disappear among the crowds.

The raiders then went down Fleet Street, cut into Princess Street and out on to Aston Quay.

They then hijacked a taxi at gunpoint – shoving the shotgun into the face of a terrified taxi man before speeding off |in the taxi to St Michael's estate in Inchicore and dumped the taxi.

Gardai later put out descriptions of the raiders. One was said to be in his late 20s or early 30s and about 5ft 10in tall.

He is of average build and was wearing a dark blue jacket with a hood and had a dark scarf pulled over his face. He spoke with a Dublin accent.

The other raider was in his mid-40s, 5ft 7in tall and of thin build. He was wearing a dark jacket, dark hat and scarf. He also spoke with a Dublin accent.

Just two hours later, around €1,000 was stolen in a cash-in-transit robbery at the DCU campus in Glasnevin.

Two men on push bikes pulled up beside the van while money was being transported from a Hodges Figgis bookshop.

They both made off with the case of money on foot.