| 13°C Dublin

Girl is beaten, stripped and left for dead in field

TEEN lucky to be alive after brutal assault.

Gardai said the 18-year-old is “lucky to be alive” following the terrifying attack.

The young girl’s life was saved by a passerby who came across her naked and suffering from head and body injuries in a field near Edgeworthstown in Co Longford on Wednesday.

The victim, who is originally from Meath, was found in a distressed state and is believed to have been exposed to the elements for some time. However investigators do not believe that she was subjected to a sexual assault.

Detectives are now trying to piece together the moments leading up to and including the savage assault she endured.


Sources say the teenager, who is originally from Meath, was badly beaten and suffering from injuries to her head, forehead and face and had a number of cuts and bruises on her upper body.

She was fortunate to have been found in the remote rural area and was “lucky to be alive.”

She was taken to Mullingar Hospital and was later transferred to Tullamore General Hospital. Her condition was listed as “serious” but her injuries are not believed to be life-threatening.

Gardai are waiting until she had recovered sufficiently to be interviewed about the horrific attack.

Detectives believe the girl will be able to provide crucial details about the attack when she is well enough to be interviewed.

A man in his 30s, originally from Limerick, was arrested in connection with the assault on Wednesday and held overnight by gardai. He was questioned under Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act before being released after 12 hours. Gardai are not believed to be looking for anyone else in connection with the attack.


A file is now being prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions.

Gardai said the young woman’s condition may have deteriorated had it not been for her discovery in the field a long way from public roads by a man walking in an adjoining field with his dogs.

Local people were reported to be deeply shaken by the horrific attack on the young woman.

Local councillor PJ Reilly told the Herald that the news has left the communities of Edgeworthstown and Granard in shock.

“It’s extremely fortunate she was found otherwise you’d what would have happened.

“Thankfully she’s on the road to recovery.

“It’s one of the most shocking things to happen down here in a long while.”