| 11.6°C Dublin

Gas poisoned dad wanted to move to the UK

THE dad who died along with his two children from suspected gas poisoning was planning to move to the UK in the New Year.

Trevor Wallwork was actively seeking work in England and was hoping to move within months, the Herald can reveal.

As a major garda investigation continued today, relatives were trying to console his wife Susan who is battling a serious form of cancer at Sligo General Hospital.

Officers believe that Mr Wallwork (52), his daughter Kim (12) and son Harry (9) all perished as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning. However, they will not be able to say definitively until the result of toxicology reports are made available in the New Year.

Gardai believe their deaths were accidental but won't make a public announcement until "every avenue is investigated".

Fire experts are today investigating what fuel was burned in an open fire at the Forget Me Not Cottage outside Gurteen.

Mr Wallwork had recently advertised on a website seeking work in the north west of England, explaining that he had moved to Ireland seven years ago.

In the advert he said he had 30 years experience in the building trade "with a background as a time-served carpenter with experience in plastering, plumbing and domestic electrics so nobody can pull the wool over my eyes".

The notice posted in September explained: "I moved over to Ireland from the UK seven years ago working as a finishing foreman and promoting health and safety as I have worked as a health and safety officer. I am hoping to be back in the UK in about six months."

The rural cottage where the three bodies were found was thoroughly searched yesterday and a number of items taken away including several empty pill bottles.

Terrible

Sources were keen to stress however that this did not suggest any tablets were taken, with one adding: "In a terrible scene like this we must check every possibility."

Sources say that post mortems at Sligo General Hospital concluded that all three died as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning.

"Toxicology reports have been ordered so that a definitive ruling can be made," said one source.

Meanwhile, the family of Trevor's wife Susan, based in Leigh, Lancashire in England, did not want to comment when contacted by the Herald this morning.

hnews@herald.ie


Privacy