| 6.8°C Dublin

Gardai release man after mum's body is found on roundabout

GARDAI are baffled by the circumstances surrounding the death of a mother-of-two whose body was found lying on a roundabout.

Zanna Alen died from massive head injuries but it is not yet clear how she sustained the fatal wounds.

The Herald understands that investigators in Waterford do not believe the 35-year-old was murdered but have not ruled out foul play.

Detectives are trying to determine if the woman sustained her injuries while falling from a vehicle moving at speed or in a possible earlier attack.

Among the lines of inquiry is the possibility that she was either pushed from or jumped out of a moving car.

A 29-year-old man, who was helping gardai with their enquiries, was released from garda custody in Waterford late last night.

Sources have revealed that a couple were spotted engaged in a heated row less than an hour before the Lithuanian woman was discovered dying in a pool of blood.


Superintendent Chris Delaney told the Herald that gardai were appealing for anyone who was in the area of the Cousebridge roundabout off Waterford's ring road between 11.30pm on Saturday and 12.30am on Sunday to contact them urgently.

Despite desperate efforts to help the woman, she was pronounced dead from severe head trauma at Waterford Regional Hospital (WRH) shortly after admission.

A Lithuanian man was initially detained on suspicion of drink-driving but was later released and arrested under Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act. A file will be sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions.

Supt Delaney stressed that gardai were keeping an open mind on the nature of their investigation.

"The nature of our investigated will be guided by the post mortem examination results," he said.

The Herald understands that care staff and members of the East European community are now comforting the woman's children, who are all believed to be aged under 15 years. Gardai desperately attempted to contact her relatives overseas.

The woman -- who is separated from her husband -- had been living in Ireland for the past two years with her children and working in the Waterford area.

A number of her friends yesterday made statements to gardai about events last Saturday evening.

A full post mortem examination was conducted at WRH last night by Deputy State Pathologist Dr Khalid Jaber.

A major section of the Waterford ring road between Ballindud roundabout and the Tramore roundabout remained closed throughout the day for a forensic examination.

Technical experts also conducted a detailed trawl of an area around Kilcohan and John's Park -- over 900m away.