| 6.8°C Dublin

Gardai punched and kicked by gang of 10

A MAN who was part of a group of 10 that kicked and punched gardai has been ordered to do 240 hours community service.

Shane Fowler (23), his brother Kaide (21), Emily Bradshaw (33) and Jennifer Ryan (28) attacked gardai when they called to Bradshaw's home to investigate a dangerous driving incident.

The gardai retreated, but their car was surrounded. Bottles were thrown at them and attempts were made to drag the men from their vehicle.

Cormac Quinn, defending Shane Fowler, of Glenties Park, Finglas, said that the day after this incident both his client and his partner Jennifer Ryan, of Finglas Wood Road, Finglas, were shot while they were sleeping in their bed.

Fowler was injured in the groin while Ryan still has to wear a brace after her knee was left injured.

Some days later a newspaper published a photo of a man in his hospital bed and inaccurately reported that Fowler had sent his attackers a video message inviting them to "shoot me in the head next time". Mr Quinn said that the message had never been sent by Fowler and since then his life "was in more serious danger".

Judge Katherine Delahunt ordered Shane Fowler to perform 240 hours community service in lieu of two years imprisonment. She adjourned Kaide Fowler's case until April for a probation report.

Ryan was given an 18-month suspended sentence last October after a probation report said she would not be capable of carrying out community service work because of her injury from the shooting. Bradshaw was ordered to carry out 200 hours community service in lieu of a 15-month prison sentence after Judge Delahunt accepted that she was "not the main instigator of the incident".

William Galvin, defending Bradshaw, of Casement Drive, Finglas, told Judge Delahunt that her husband had committed suicide before this incident and her son had just come out of a coma that night after he had been knocked down by a car. She had three other children.

Marie Torrens, defending Ryan, said the group had been celebrating the fact that her nephew, Bradshaw's son, had just come out of a coma that night, before the "ugly" incident with the gardai arose.

They all pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to assaulting gardai during the execution of their duties in Finglas, on July 16, 2006.