| 11°C Dublin

Gardai probe Stardust fire perjury claim

GARDAI have launched a criminal investigation into alleged perjury by a number of witnesses at the 1981 tribunal into the Stardust fire.

Antoinette Keegan, who was 18 at the time, lost her two sisters, Mary and Martina, in the blaze and spent two weeks on life-support, battling her own injuries from the fire.

She has welcomed the development.

"Obviously, the angels are looking down on us this week ahead of the anniversary," Antoinette told the Herald.

"We want to know exactly what happened," she added.

"We're giving no more submissions to the government because we know that the evidence that's there is wrong."

This Friday marks the 33rd anniversary of the fire that killed 48 young people in a nightclub in Artane.

Geraldine Foy, a researcher for the families affected, made statements to gardai containing what she believes is fresh evidence that warrants further investigation into the tragic event.

Both families of victims of the horrific Valentine's day tragedy and fire expert Robin Knox have identified what they believe was suspect evidence given at the tribunal into the Stardust fire.

Those whom the allegations have been made against will be interviewed as part of the new garda investigation which began last month. The investigation team is based at Coolock Garda Station.

DISASTER

THE FAMILIES OF THOSE LOST IN THE STARDUST DISASTER HAVE CONSISTENTLY CAMPAIGNED FOR ANOTHER INQUIRY INTO THE INFERNO, MAINTAINING THAT EVIDENCE GIVEN AT THE TRIBUNAL WAS FLAWED.

According to Antoinette, for the families and people like her who were there that night, the grief and pain is still very much a part of their daily life.

"1981 has never left me," she told the Herald.

HNEWS@HERALD.IE


Privacy