| 9.1°C Dublin

Gardai probe link to three abduction bids within weeks

Close

FEARS: Parents at St Pius National School were informed of the alleged abduction bid. Photo: Damien Eagers

FEARS: Parents at St Pius National School were informed of the alleged abduction bid. Photo: Damien Eagers

FEARS: Parents at St Pius National School were informed of the alleged abduction bid. Photo: Damien Eagers

THREE attempted child abductions in recent weeks could be connected, gardai believe.

In the latest incident, a nine-year-old girl was approached by a man who then allegedly attempted to lure her away from outside her school.

The child refused and then told her mother after she picked her up from St Pius National School at Fortfield Park, Terenure, on Monday.

After the incident, the school told all parents what had happened via text message and advised them to pick up their children on time.

Gardai are treating the case seriously and combing CCTV for images of the man, described as being in his 40s, wearing a woolly hat and speaking with an Irish accent.

Officers are investigating if the abduction is related to two incidents of a similar nature in the area over the past month.

REPORTED

They hope to establish if the same man approached an eight-year-old girl in nearby Firhouse at 6.30pm on February 6 and asked her to get into his car.

He was also described as wearing a woolly hat and speaking with an Irish accent but was said to be his 30s.

This matter was reported to gardai in Rathfarnham by the girl's mother.

Officers are also looking at another alleged incident close to St Colmcille's primary school in Knocklyon.

In that case, it is alleged that at 12pm on February 22 a man in a car approached a woman walking with her two children to the shops.

The man pulled up beside them and asked the woman if she wanted a lift, saying the children could be put in the back seat of the car.

She refused and the matter was reported to gardai.

No arrests have been made and the suspect or suspects have not been identified.

Parents whose children attend St Pius National School said they were in shock.

Mum-of-three Nikki Margey added her children enjoyed walking home from school, but that changed after she was sent the news in the text.

"I had to tell them and they got very upset and worried and asked me to come and meet them," she said.

DISAPPOINTED

"I had little kids walking home behind me because they wanted to feel close to an adult.

"I was very disappointed. You hope it was a case of somebody being over-cautious, maybe somebody being over-friendly. You want kids to be able to walk home like we all did."

Another parent said the incident was a "wake-up" call.

"It couldn't have come at more of a hyped time," she said, referring to an incident in Athlone late last year in which a brute raped two children.

"My hair stood on end, my stomach lurched, and I just said 'Oh my God.'"

Parents are now hoping for a meeting so they can learn more information from the school authorities.

They have also called for CCTV cameras to be installed outside school gates.

HNEWS@HERALD.IE


Privacy