| 4.6°C Dublin

Gardai launch probe after landmark Dublin pub is gutted in blaze


The Bottom of the Hill in Finglas village was gutted by a fire

The Bottom of the Hill in Finglas village was gutted by a fire

The Bottom of the Hill in Finglas village was gutted by a fire

The cause of a blaze which destroyed a landmark Finglas pub early yesterday morning has yet to be established by investigators.

Fire crews battled to prevent the flames at the Bottom of the Hill bar from spreading but the building was extensively damaged.

The blaze broke out shortly after 1am in the pub, situated at the end of Finglas village.


Four units of Dublin Fire Brigade from Finglas, Phibsboro and Tara Street were at the scene all night, and only left at 7am yesterday, having fought the fire for six hours.

A metal roof on the building began to peel back from the heat of the flames, and emergency crews had to remove a section of it in order to make the building safe.

A specialist turntable ladder was brought in from Tara Street Fire Station, with which the crews could fight the flames from above.

The fire could be seen rising from the roof of the popular pub, and it is believed a strong breeze fanned the flames, making it even more difficult for the emergency crews tasked with trying to extinguish the raging fire.

The building is also occupied by a fast food takeaway at ground level on one side, and a Chinese restaurant at first floor level on the other side.

There is also a betting shop on the site.

Gardai have now preserved the scene and a technical examination was being carried out to help determine the cause of the fire.


All aspects of the site will be examined to establish where the fire started, and if it was in the pub itself or one of the other businesses.

Members of the Garda Technical Bureau spent hours at the scene yesterday gathering evidence, and photographed the property from all sides as well as internally.

There was no indication that the fire was anything but an accident, but a forensic examination is part of the investigation protocol when a large blaze occurs.

A garda spokesman confirmed yesterday that there were no injuries arising from the incident.