| 11.3°C Dublin

Gardai hunt gunman after 22-year-old is shot in the leg

GARDAI are on the hunt for a gunman after a man was shot in the leg last night in Dublin.

The 22-year-old victim was hit once in the right leg during the attack, which took place shortly after 10pm at Barnamore Grove in Finglas.

He was rushed by ambulance to Connolly Memorial Hospital in Blanchardstown where his condition was described today as "non-life-threatening".

The scene of the crime was preserved this morning and was being examined by officers from the Garda Technical Bureau.

The shooting is believed to have taken place at the private residence on Barnamore Grove.

Two houses were cordoned off this morning and the scene was being monitored by gardai as they awaited the arrival of the garda forensic team.

A car was parked in the driveway of one of the homes.

The normally busy estate had an eerie state of calm this morning as the community reacted to the incident.

One neighbour spoke of his shock at the news and that the Barnamore Grove area was normally very peaceful.

"We just heard the commotion last night and came out and the fire brigade arrived and the young man was taken away by ambulance," he said.


"Nothing like that happens up here, it's normally very quiet.

"It's a big shock for us and everyone in the community; we never have trouble with that kind of crime around here."

One onlooker said that the side of the Barnamore estate where the incident occurred "was much safer with fewer homes boarded up."

The shooting follows another incident on the city's northside last week, when a Lithuanian national was shot and wounded in Artane.

The victim, in his late 40s, was found with gunshot wounds on the morning of April 29.

He sustained wounds to his leg and arm in the attack in the Maryfield Woods estate.

Gardai believe the man distributed bags house-to-house throughout Dublin, collecting second-hand clothes.

The injured man has been in Ireland for a several years with his partner and children.

It is believed that a personal dispute may have been the motive for the attack.

The incidents are not believed to be linked at this stage.