| 10.6°C Dublin

Gardai find 'Guinea Pig' in home of Rattigan's ex-lover

DETECTIVES have found notorious gangster Mark Desmond with the ex-girlfriend of an arch rival.

Desmond (pictured), known as the Guinea Pig, was staying in a bedroom at the home Natasha McEnroe shares with her new boyfriend in Ranelagh.

McEnroe (30) is the former girlfriend of gangland boss Brian Rattigan, known as King Ratt.

Desmond, who is regarded as one of Ireland’s most dangerous and violent criminals, was discovered sharing the house with McEnroe and her partner.

Desmond and the jailed King Ratt are arch rivals and members of the Ratt gang at one stage tried to kill Desmond.

The Guinea Pig was found by detectives probing a murder attempt on Declan O’Reilly at Harold's Cross last week.

McEnroe was arrested at her home by the detectives before being released.

O’Reilly has been acquitted of a jail killing, and gardai are working on three theories over his shooting:

* He was being targeted by criminals associated with Derek Glennon, the prisoner killed in Mountjoy;

* He was targeted by two people over an alleged €2k |supply of bad heroin;

* He was set up by a |notorious Dublin pimp and the pimp’s brother.

Gardai were astonished meanwhile to find the Guinea Pig associating with Ms |McEnroe.

She was arrested by detectives and taken to Rathmines Garda Station and her 27-year-old boyfriend was held in custody in Terenure, both under section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act.

A garda spokesman told the Herald the two were released without charge overnight and the investigation into the |shooting is ongoing.

It is understood the pair are not directly linked to the |incident and were only helping officers with their inquiries.

O’Reilly (30) survived the gun attack despite being shot four times by the gunman.

McEnroe and her boyfriend were quizzed about alleged threats to kill O’Reilly, of Parnell Road, Crumlin.

Rattigan split with McEnroe last November. It is believed gardai are examining mobile phone traffic and text messages between a number of handsets as part of the probe.

Five shots were fired at O’Reilly last Tuesday week as he walked down the laneway at Kenilworth Manor, linking Harold’s Cross Road to a football pitch. Schoolchildren, some as young as 10 and 11, were playing soccer at the time.

O’Reilly was hit four times in the chest and arms and taken by ambulance to St James’ Hospital for emergency treatment.

However his wounds were not life-threatening.

The gunman then escaped on a bicycle and nearly collided with a car as he dashed into rush-hour traffic.

Witnesses to the shooting, in a laneway beside the football club, say the shooter was going so fast he had to swerve to avoid a car that was turning in.

O'Reilly managed to flee his killer and collapsed beside the clubhouse of Harold's Cross Boy's Football Club.

It is believed recent threats made to the victim, thought to be related to a row over money, was a strong line of inquiry.