| 4.9°C Dublin

Garda stabbed in face on street

A GARDA was stabbed in the face as he arrested a man in a city suburb.

The officer was injured as he took on the suspect, who was wielding a broken bottle, at Main Street, Raheny.

Minutes earlier the thug had stabbed another man, out walking with his partner and child, in an unprovoked attack at St Anne's Park.

The incident took place in daylight, at 6.30pm yesterday. The man who carried out the attack was aged in his late 20s.

A short time later a Garda approached a man on nearby Main Street and was also attacked. He received injuries to his eye and was taken to Beaumont Hospital but later released.

The arrested man is being held under Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act at Raheny station and can be held for a maximum of 24 hours.

A garda spokesperson told the Herald today that in the park attack, the man assaulted the injured party with a broken bottle and fled the scene. The injured party sustained minor injuries.”

“The motive for the attack is being examined. The garda just rushed to the scene after receiving a report of a stabbing. All the background circumstances will be looked at.”

The officer was unarmed when he took on the man at the park, the Herald understands.

He suffered minor injuries, it is understood.

The four attacks last night occurred within hours of each other during a night of blade violence in the capital. Three men, including the garda, were injured during the incident in Raheny alone.

The garda and the man in the park incident were treated and discharged from hospital.

The victim of the attack remains in a stable condition. He suffered multiple stab wounds before the garda came to his aid.

In the second incident, a man was stabbed in the chest in Cherry Orchard, Ballyfermot, last night at around 8.30pm.


And in a third incident, a man was stabbed in the face on Parkgate Street, near the Phoenix Park, at around 9pm. All three incidents are the subject of major investigations today.

The St Anne’s Park attack is the second time a garda has been stabbed in the Raheny area in recent times.

A garda and his partner were stabbed by two foreign nationals after they responded to a 999 call at a house in Raheny in July, 2005.

One of the gardai ended up in the intensive care unit of the Mater Hospital following the incident and survived lifethreatening injuries.

Knife crime continues to be a serious problem with six stabbing murders so far this year.

In the most recent incident in the capital a fortnight ago, 19- year-old David Byrne was stabbed to death in a row over a girl in Inchicore.

A recent report from the World Health Organisation put Ireland at the top of the western Europe league table for young male murders and manslaughter.


The report studied figures from 45 European countries for 2004- 2006 for the 10- to 29-year-old age group, and found Ireland had the second-highest rate of knife deaths.

Ireland was ranked 29 th overall for all homicides.

Knife murders in Ireland have fluctuated since 2003, rising sharply from eight in that year, to 21 in 2005, to a peak of 37 in 2007. It fell to 15 in 2008, before rising to 19 in 2009.

A nationwide garda campaign targeting knife-carrying among young people – called How Big Do You Feel? – was launched in February 2009.

Recent legislation increased the maximum penalty for carrying a knife, from one to five years.

Anyone with any information on any of last night's incidents is urged to contact their local garda station or the Garda Confidential Line on 1800 666 111.