A 15-year-old boy arrested for "holding" two loaded handguns which were set to be used in an attack on a Finglas mobster linked to the Kinahan cartel was still being questioned by gardai last night.
Officers seized the firearms when they raided a property in Gortbeg Road, Finglas, yesterday morning and arrested the teenager.
Sources said gardai were investigating if the boy was "bullied and intimidated" by a jailed gang boss involved in the brutal turf war to "hold the weapons" which were to be used on a drug dealer known as 'Mr Flashy'.
They said the boy came from a respectable family and had never been in trouble with the law before, which made him an ideal target to be "used" by the mob led by a 35-year-old armed robber who was recently jailed.
"All the indications are that this unfortunate young boy has been used by this sinister gang and was effectively bullied and intimidated into holding the guns," one source said.
"The belief is that the guns were to be used in an attack on a criminal whose gang headquarters were blown up by the rival faction last week."
The boy's arrest is the latest development in the deadly feud which has seen a number of tit-for-tat incidents, including shots being fired at two properties in the area during recent days.
In the first of the incidents last Friday, shots were fired at the Kippure Park home of an innocent relative of a woman who is in a relationship with a gangster at the centre of the dispute.
The following night a shot was fired at a house in the Cardiffsbridge Road area in an incident which was not reported to gardai.
As tensions continue to simmer, there has been a huge increase in armed garda checkpoints and patrols in the beleaguered north Dublin suburb.
The Herald revealed that lives could have been lost when a house in Finglas was blown up shortly before 3am last Wednesday.
The targeted property had been used as the headquarters of 'Mr Flashy' ever since a notorious local hitman fled the country after he was arrested for a number of Kinahan-Hutch feud-related murders.
Meanwhile, gardai in nearby Blanchardstown who are dealing with a separate localised feud arrested a reckless 24-year-old criminal who was caught with a suspected firearm in the Mulhuddart area at 2pm on Tuesday.
Unarmed officers stopped the suspect on a bicycle and discovered the suspected weapon hidden in his bag.
He was arrested and taken to Blanchardstown Garda Station where he was later released without charge.
A file will now be prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions and the suspected firearm was forwarded for ballistic and forensic examination.
The man arrested on Tuesday is the chief suspect for a shotgun attack on a house earlier this month.
In another case, gardai in Coolock have made no arrests after a gunman who wore a balaclava fired two shots into a Chinese takeaway in Priors- wood at 9pm on Tuesday.
He fired the shots through the window but two local women and a foreign national in the takeaway at the time were uninjured.