| -3.2°C Dublin

Gangland thug Alan Wilson briefly let out of jail to see dead mum but won't be at funeral


Alan Wilson

Alan Wilson

Alan Wilson

Jailed gangland thug Alan Wilson will not be at his beloved mother's funeral today after he was only granted a brief period of compassionate release to pay his respects to her as she lay in a Dublin funeral home.

There was a huge armed garda presence when Wilson - cuffed to a prison officer - made the visit at a funeral home in Aungier Street on Dublin's southside at around 10am yesterday.

"Wilson is a very dangerous individual and that is why such a large garda presence was required," a source said.


"It is common practice for criminals of this nature to be given as short a period as possible out of jail for these visits," the source added.

Jail sources confirmed that Wilson - who is serving a seven-year sentence for a meat cleaver attack - was allowed out of prison between 9am and 11am yesterday and was escorted by prison officers and gardai.

This means that apart from missing his mother Mary's funeral at the Carmelite Church in Whitefriar Street in Dublin's south inner city today, he was also absent from her removal yesterday evening.

His mother Mary (63) was found dead at their family home in the New Street Gardens estate at 7pm on Saturday.

Gardai are not treating her sudden death as suspicious and it is understood that she died of a heart attack and had been suffering from bad health.

Last year, Alan Wilson (36) was cleared of the January 2008 murder of tragic Romanian teenager Marioara Rostas (18).

Earlier this week, the Herald revealed that Mary Wilson was arrested on three separate occasions by gardai investigating the murder of the 18-year-old and was also previously questioned about a disturbing plot to kill a senior detective and journalist.

Her first arrest in relation to the Rostas case happened in late 2008, for withholding information about the killing.

She was arrested again in March 2012, when Marioara's body was found in the Dublin Mountains.


A month later, the grandmother was arrested once again for threatening witnesses in the case after Alan Wilson was charged with murder by gardai.

When this arrest happened , officers uncovered a plan to kill a solicitor and found that she had a map and details of the solicitor's movements.