THE GAA should not have approved an announcement promoting a rally in support of Sean Quinn at a football final, ex Dublin County Board chairman John Bailey said today.
The public address system at the county football final in Enniskillen was used to announce the date of a re-scheduled rally in support of the bankrupt billionaire -- and the move was approved by the GAA.
But Mr Bailey, a Fine Gael councillor in Dun Laoghaire Rathdown, expressed surprise at that today.
A GAA spokesman said the announcement did not breach GAA rules as it was "non-party political".
But Cllr Bailey said allowing the announcement at the Fermanagh County Final on Saturday was "a total abuse of the system". "The GAA should only get involved in sporting matters," he said.
A number of high-profile GAA figures including Mickey Harte and Colm O'Rourke were among 4,000 people at a pro-Quinn rally in July.
State-owned Irish Bank Resolution Corporation, formerly Anglo Irish Bank, says Mr Quinn and his family owe the institution €2.8bn.
At half time at the match, which saw Tempo beat Lisnaskea by eight points, the announcement from the Concerned Irish Citizens group was read out. It called for the public to attend a rally in support of Mr Quinn in Ballyconnell on October 14 and urged fans to "oppose the injustices against the Quinn family".
The rally had been due to go ahead last month but was postponed following the death of Fermanagh player Brian Og Maguire.