| 12°C Dublin

Foul play now ruled out in family home inferno

A FIRE which nearly killed a family of six in their home was not started deliberately, investigators believe.

Anthony Maloney, partner Sharon Gahan and their four young girls were saved from the blaze in Mullingar by gardai and neighbours.

But Sharon, who was left seriously injured, still does not know that her two-year-old daughter survived, according to family members.

Ms Gahan remains on a life support machine and is convinced daughter Maddie perished, though she has been told everyone was saved.

Gardai now believe that the blaze started as a result of an electrical fault.



SMOKE



While both Sharon and Maddie remain on life support, doctors have told family members they will be okay.

Little Maddie suffered internal bleeding from severe smoke inhalation. Sharon also suffered serious injuries while the other three children were hurt jumping for their lives from an upstairs window of the house in Grange Crescent.

Gardai initially suspected that bags of clothes left outside the house for collection by a charity may have been set alight but they now think an electrical issue -- possibly a phone charger -- was the source of the fire.

comurphy@herald.ie


Privacy