| 12°C Dublin

'Flat Cap' is laid to rest as paramilitaries fail to show at family affair


The funeral of Kevin Murray, who had motor neurone disease

The funeral of Kevin Murray, who had motor neurone disease

The funeral of Kevin Murray, who had motor neurone disease

Suspected Regency Hotel shooter Kevin 'Flat Cap' Murray was laid to rest over the weekend following his death from motor neurone disease.

The low-key funeral of Murray (47), who was allegedly involved with dissident vigilante group Republican Action Against Drugs (RAAD), had no paramilitary send-off with mainly family and friends in attendance.

A group of men, wearing white shirts and black ties, walked behind his coffin as it was led into Strabane's Church of the Immaculate Conception.

A green and white wreath from RAAD was visible, alongside an orange wreath bearing the word "Dad".

Some 300 people attended the Mass.


Parish priest Fr Declan Boland said Murray had faced his illness "bravely" and that the father-of-two had been "caught up in a vortex of [Troubles] upheaval".

"During our lives we make many decisions, some good, some bad, some indifferent and, in this regard, Kevin was no different from the rest of us," Fr Boland told mourners.

Murray was diagnosed with rapidly deteriorating motor neurone disease and died on Wednesday at his home in Townsend Street in Strabane.

Last December it was estimated that he had only a few months to live and it is understood that his family was informed last week by doctors that there was nothing more that they could do.

A Northern Irish judge ruled that he was too ill to stand trial in relation to the Regency murder in 2016.

The Tyrone man was arrested on September 5, 2016, in Strabane, Co Tyrone, in connection with the murder of Kinahan cartel member David Byrne (34).

He was due to face murder and firearm charges on foot of a European Arrest Warrant ordered by the Irish Director of Public Prosecutions.

In May, a court heard that Murray was confined to his bed and was being fed through a tube. A judge ruled that his deteriorating health meant he could not be extradited to the Republic of Ireland to stand trial for murder.

Murray's lawyers argued against his extradition on the grounds that he would be unlikely to be tried given his condition. The extradition attempts were ended in May.