A FIREMAN was taken to hospital after a ceiling collapsed on him during a house fire.
The officer from Blanchardstown fire station was tackling a blaze at a derelict house on the Carpenterstown Road in Castleknock, Dublin, about 7.30pm on Wednesday.
He was taken to Connolly Hospital with a shoulder injury when a ceiling fell down on top of him. He was treated for a dislocated shoulder and discharged.
Inventor of the frisbee dies
Walter Fredrick Morrison, the man credited with inventing the frisbee, died aged 90.
Utah House Representative Kay McIff, an attorney who represented Morrison in a royalties case, said Mr Morrison died at his home in Monroe, Utah, on Tuesday.
"That simple little toy has permeated every continent in every country, as many homes have frisbees as any other device ever invented," Mr McIff said.
Acid attack on three whalers
Three crew members of a Japanese whaling vessel suffered face and eye injuries from acid fired by anti-whaling protesters during their latest clash in the Antarctic Ocean, their Japanese employers said.
The Sea Shepherd protesters said they lobbed butyric acid, produced from stinking rancid butter, which they often aim at the whalers to try to disrupt the annual Japanese hunt. The activists maintain that butyric acid is nontoxic.
Boy held over assault charge
A TEENAGE boy facing assault and violent disorder charges has been further remanded in custody after his mother walked out of court before his case was called.
The 16-year-old boy has been charged at the Children's Court with engaging in a violent disorder and three counts of assault causing harm, at Dame Lane, in Dublin, on February 29 last year.
The DPP has recommended "trial on indictment" meaning the case should be sent forward to the Circuit Court, which has wider sentencing powers.