| 9.3°C Dublin

Firefighter charged over crash death of 27-year-old man


Derek Keane at Balbriggan court

Derek Keane at Balbriggan court

Derek Keane at Balbriggan court

A fireman has been charged with dangerous driving causing the death of a north Co Dublin man.

Derek Keane (38) appeared before Balbriggan District Court yesterday accused of dangerous driving causing the death of Callum Grimes on December 27, 2016, on the R128 at Loughshinny, Co Dublin.

Sergeant Sean Pender told Judge John Cheatle that Mr Keane, of The Cottage, Loughshinny, was arrested at 9.05am yesterday and charged with the offence.

Sgt Pender said the defendant replied "no" after caution.


He said the Director of Public Prosecution had directed trial on indictment which means Mr Keane will be sent forward to Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to face trial by judge and jury.

He also confirmed that the DPP had consented that the accused be sent forward to the Circuit Court on a signed plea, if that arises.

However, the defendant has not yet indicated how he will plead.

Dressed in a navy jumper, blue shirt and blue jeans, Mr Keane, who works as a retained firefighter in north Dublin, did not address the court.

Sgt Pender told the court that he was seeking clarification whether the defendant was to face further charges and requested a three-week adjournment.

He said there was no objection to the defendant being granted bail on condition he surrendered his passport and signed on at a garda station every Wednesday between 9am and 9pm.

Judge Cheatle released Mr Keane on his own bond of €200 to appear before the court on December 7 for Sgt Pender to clarify whether further charges are to be brought against him.

Mr Grimes (27), who was from the St Catherine's estate in Rush, Co Dublin, died in Beaumont Hospital in July - six months after he was knocked down on the Skerries to Loughshinny road.

He had been out socialising at a bar in Skerries about 5km away as part of the St Stephen's Day festivities.

It is thought he was unable to get a taxi and started walking home along the narrow road.

He was found unconscious with serious injuries on the side of the road by a breadman who was making deliveries, and a local nurse helped give him first aid before emergency services arrived.

Broken glass and plastic from a vehicle was scattered nearby.