| 13.2°C Dublin

Final chapter of singer's story written out in concrete office block


Cranberries singer Dolores O'Riordan

Cranberries singer Dolores O'Riordan

Cranberries singer Dolores O'Riordan

Far from the glitz and glamour of the rock world, the final tragic chapter for Dolores O'Riordan was written in a nondescript London office block.

The Cranberries singer now joins a tragic list of stars including Prince (2016), Michael Jackson (2009), Whitney Houston (2012) and Heath Ledger (2008) who died too young.

Devoted mum-of-three Dolores was looking to record two new solo albums and also had exciting future plans for her family and adored children.

But yesterday Westminster Coroner's Court heard that the singer drowned in a bathtub at an upmarket Mayfair hotel in January while she was more than four times over the drink-drive limit.


She died alone, wearing pyjama bottoms and a vest - with empty miniature bottles from the minibar scattered around the bedroom.

Bravely battling personal demons, including depression and alcohol addiction, the mother- of-three had relapsed during a short trip to Canada and had begun drinking again. The relapse came after she appeared to have turned the chaos of her life around following a spell in an addiction treatment centre.

She opened the minibar in Room 2005 of the Hilton at Park Lane at 2am on January 15 and was found dead at 9am when a maid opened the door, which was locked from the inside, to clean the room.

Yesterday, at Tachbrook Street in Pimlico, Dolores's inquest took place in a concrete office block with a popular street market dominated by curry stalls outside. Oblivious to the tragic proceedings taking place on the first floor of the Inner West London Coroner's Building, street traders outside shouted their wares.


Westminster's Catholic cathedral is located just a five-minute walk away, while on the other side of nearby Victoria train station lies Belgravia, home to many of London's wealthy elite.

In this part of the capital, Porsches, Ferraris and Aston Martins are far from unusual sights on the streets - but if anything underlined the tragic cost of fame, it was the proceedings before coroner Dr Radcliffe.

The inquest hearing concluded after just 45 minutes of evidence.

After the hearing and the verdict of accidental death, devastated members of the O'Riordan family - including the singer's devoted mother, Eileen, brother and sister-in-law - were escorted through the assembled media, past the crowded stalls of Tachbrook Street Market, and into a waiting black car to begin their long journey back to Limerick.