| 10.1°C Dublin

Female arrested and questioned in brutal hit and run

THE chief suspect for a deliberate hit-and-run that left a man with horrific injuries has been arrested by gardai.

The female suspect who gardai believe was driving the car that targeted Keith Fay (34) was questioned by detectives at Mountjoy Garda station.

She was later released without charge and a file is now being prepared for the DPP.

Gardai had been searching for her for a number of weeks before she was arrested and it is understood that she failed to co-operate with the investigation team.

The woman is a 31-year-old career criminal who is originally from Dublin's northside.


It is understood she has a number of previous convictions and served a jail sentence for a shoplifting spree.

A senior source explained: "This is a very difficult investigation but gardai are hopeful of getting charges in the case.

"In many ways it is a miracle that this man survived after the injuries he received."

Mr Fay is said to be making a good recovery after there were fears that he would die following the horrific incident at Trinity Lane, just off Clonliffe Road, at about 1pm on October 17.

The female was the second person to be arrested as part of the detailed investigation after a close male associate was arrested the day after the brutal hit-and run.

This 33-year-old was also released without charge after he handed himself into gardai when heavily armed members of the Emergency Response Unit raided four houses linked to the notorious duo in dawn raids in the north inner city.

After the attack on Mr Fay, gardai believe that the duo fled the scene in a car which was found burnt out in East Wall a short time later.

Mr Fay was walking along Clonliffe Road with his fiancee when he was approached by the suspect.

Mr Fay fled down a nearby laneway and was pursued by the man and a vehicle which had two female occupants.

The victim was then knocked over in the laneway.

He was left bleeding on the ground as his fiancee ran to Fay's family home and alerted his mother Carol.


The male suspect was previously in Mountjoy Prison with Mr Fay where the pair had a severe disagreement which may be linked to last month's incident.

While Mr Fay became what jail sources describe as "a model prisoner who wanted to turn his life around", the other man continues to be involved in serious criminality.

The suspect has more than 150 previous convictions.

In one incident, the prolific burglar held a terrified boy at knifepoint and threatened to kill him if he didn't hand over money.

Previously, he was jailed for three years for ramming a Garda squad car twice as his nine-year-old son sat in the back seat.