| 15.8°C Dublin

Father who smothered his own baby dies from self-inflicted injuries


Karol Rozycki with his mother, Anna

Karol Rozycki with his mother, Anna

Karol Rozycki with his mother, Anna

A father found lying critically injured in a pool of blood just metres from the 11-month-old baby boy he smothered to death has died.

Andrzej Piolunowicz (32) died in Cork University Hospital (CUH) five days after being found in a Killarney flat alongside his son, Karol Rozycki.

Mr Piolunowicz, a hotel worker, had suffered what gardai believe were self-inflicted injuries to his wrists, stomach and neck after killing his son.

Such was the quantity of blood that he lost, he had sustained severe brain damage.

Mr Piolunowicz was initially treated in Kerry General Hospital before being transferred for specialist care in Cork University Hospital (CUH).

He never regained consciousness after being discovered by his partner and Karol's mother, Anna Rozycki (24). He had been on a life-support machine since being rushed to hospital.

The young mother was horrified to discover her baby lifeless and Mr Piolunowicz lying in a pool of blood at their apartment at Park Place on Upper High Street, Killarney, Co Kerry, shortly after 6pm last Sunday.

Despite desperate efforts by paramedics to revive Karol, the toddler was pronounced dead at the scene. His body was released to his mother on Wednesday and his remains were flown back to Poland, where his Mass of the Angels will be staged.

Karol will be buried in Bielsko-Biala, the hometown of his mother, which is a short distance outside the southern Polish city of Krakow.

A special memorial service for Karol was staged by the Irish and Polish communities in Killarney on Tuesday, with a collection being taken up to help Anna defray the costs of Karol's repatriation and his funeral expenses.

So far, gardai have not released the results of the post-mortem examination by Assistant State Pathologist Dr Margaret Bolster for operational reasons. However, it is understood little Karol died from suffocation, most likely by having a pillow placed over his head by Piolunowicz.


Gardai also recovered a number of notes and messages at the scene, which are now being studied by forensic experts.

It is believed Mr Piolunowicz may have been depressed and bothered by financial concerns.

Ms Rozycki paid a special "Thank you" to the people of Killarney shortly before she flew back to Poland with her son and her mother, Tereasa.