| 11.3°C Dublin

Father-of-three shot dead on 26th birthday suffered 'catastrophic brain injuries'


A garda at the wasteland where David Lynch’s body was found Photo: Frank Mc Grath

A garda at the wasteland where David Lynch’s body was found Photo: Frank Mc Grath

A garda at the wasteland where David Lynch’s body was found Photo: Frank Mc Grath

A father of three who was shot dead on his 26th birthday died of multiple gunshot wounds to the head.

David Patrick Lynch, of Railway Road, Clongriffin, Dublin 13, was found lying face down on waste ground opposite Clarehall Shopping Centre in north Dublin on March 30, 2009.

He was aware of previous threats against him but was not in fear of his life at the time of his death, an inquest heard.

"At that particular time he wasn't worried but beforehand he was," his older bro- ther, Gerard Lynch, told Dublin Coroner's Court.

Christine Smith, the victim's Partner, said she was aware of a threat to his life.

"I always knew there would have been that threat there," she told coroner Dr Brian Farrell.

David Lynch spent March 29, 2009 - his 26th birthday - at his mother's house, where he lived.

His mother, Collette Lynch said he was "in great form" all day.

"We were talking about kids and grandkids," she said.

Her son made a few calls and arranged to meet his friend, Robbie Lawlor, in Clarehall that night.

"He left around 10pm to meet Robbie," Mrs Lynch said.

Pamela Williams, who lives opposite the waste ground, was reading a book in bed when she heard four loud bangs.

"I heard one bang initially and then three in quick succession. I thought it was nothing, just fireworks," she said.

Daniella Paduraru was walking her dog the following day when she discovered the body on waste ground across the road from the Newtown Court apartments near Belcamp.


"My dog smelled the body, he pulled me over," she said.

When she realised it was a body, she ran to alert the apartment complex manager.

Det Insp Kenneth Keeling said a number of arrests were made and a file was submitted to the DPP, but no charges were brought in relation to Mr Lynch's death.

The gun used to shoot him dead, a 9mm calibre semi- automatic pistol, was never found and the investigation remains open.

Mr Lynch sustained four gunshot wounds to the head. One entered the top of his head and the others entered at the back.

He suffered "catastrophic" brain injuries and died instantly.

Post-mortem results revealed that he had sustained shotgun wounds before.

"We don't know if there was a gunman or gunmen, but what we do know is that he died instantaneously," Dr Farrell said.

The coroner appealed to anyone with information to come forward and help gardai with their inquiries.

The jury returned a verdict of unlawful killing by a person or persons unknown.