| 12.2°C Dublin

Father-of-four in Irene murder case further remanded charge is given bail


Victim Irene White

Victim Irene White

Victim Irene White

A father-of-four charged with the murder of Irene White has been remanded on bail for another six weeks for a book of evidence to be completed.

Ms White died after a stabbing at her home in Dundalk in 2005.

Niall Power (45), of Gyles Quay, Riverstown, Dundalk, faced his fifth hearing yesterday, the eve of the 13th anniversary of Ms White's death.

State solicitor Orla Farrell told Cloverhill District Court she was in a position to confirm that the Director of Public Prosecutions had directed trial on indictment.

This means Mr Power will be tried at the Central Criminal Court. The prosecution sought a remand to complete the book of evidence.

Mr Power, who remained silent during the hearing, was remanded on bail to appear again on May 17.

Barry Callan, defending, confirmed that his client wanted his next appearance to be at Cloverhill District Court.

Ms White (43), a separated mother-of-three, was killed in the kitchen of her Co Louth home on April 6, 2005.


Her mother, Maureen McBride, found her lying on the kitchen floor when she visited the house at lunchtime.

Mr Power was originally charged and remanded in custody on February 1 following an appearance at Dundalk District Court.

However, bail that had required an independent surety was later set by the High Court and he drove to court yesterday in a Ford Transit van.

Evidence of arrest was given at his first hearing by Gda Sgt Mick Sheridan, who said Mr Power made no reply when charged with murder.

Ms White died of 34 stab wounds in the kitchen of her home, the Ice House, on Demesne Road, Dundalk.

The case was reviewed by the garda cold case team, and a public appeal for information was made in 2016.

Mr Power is the second man to be brought before the courts over Ms White's death.

PhD history student Anthony Lambe (35), from Annadrumman, Castleblayney, Co Monaghan, was charged in January last year with her murder.

He was jailed for life last January after pleading guilty at the Central Criminal Court.