| 7.8°C Dublin

Father and son accused of series of house robberies

THREE POLISH men, including a father and son, have been charged in connection with a garda probe into a spate of break-ins in Dublin.

Boguslaw Jakubiec (53), his son Marcin Jakubiec (31) and Wojciech Borowski (30) were arrested in connection with a series of burglaries following a garda operation in Co Wexford.

They were all remanded in custody after their solicitor made no bail application on their behalf at an evening sitting of Dublin District Court.

The charges before the court related to a total of six alleged burglaries over a three-month period. Their cases were adjourned pending the directions of the DPP.

The accused men were arrested after gardai from Blackrock, Dun Laoghaire and other stations, helped by the Regional Support Unit, conducted a number of planned searches at residences in Courtown and Wexford town on Thursday morning. The investigation had been launched by Assistant Garda Commissioner John Twomey.

The defendants are all of the same address at Carcur Cottages, Wexford Town.

Wojciech Borowski and Marcin Jakubiec are both charged with carrying out the same six burglaries. Two were allegedly in Littlewood, Belarmine, Dublin 18 on March 15 last, with two more at Wyckham Point, Wyckham Way, Dundrum on April 15 and The Bridge Apartments, Shankill on January 2. The others were allegedly at Glebe Hall and Rochdale, Honey Park in Dun Laoghaire on May 3 and January 25.

BURGLARIES

Boguslaw Jakubiec's four charges related to the burglaries at Littlewood, Wykham Way and the Bridge Apartments.

Detective Sergeant Joe O'Hara gave evidence of arrest, charge and caution of all three accused. He said both Boguslaw and Marcin Jakubiec were arrested at Enniscorthy Garda Station and brought to Shankill Garda Station in south Dublin.

The third accused was arrested at Wexford Garda Station and also brought to Shankill Station.

The proceedings were translated to the accused by a Polish interpreter. Defence Solicitor Tracey Horan applied for free legal aid on behalf of all three accused, who she said were not working. None of the accused addressed the court during the brief hearing.

Judge Bryan Smyth granted legal aid subject to further details being filed to the court to verify their means.

He remanded the three defendants in custody, to appear in Cloverhill District Court on May 29.

aphelan@herald.ie


Privacy