| 14.6°C Dublin

Fat Freddie Thompson jailed for 20 months for pub brawl


'Fat' Freddie Thompson

'Fat' Freddie Thompson

Freddie Thompson

Freddie Thompson


'Fat' Freddie Thompson

'Fat' Freddie Thompson has been jailed for 20 months for a pub brawl “sparked by slagging” after a funeral.

Thompson (34) of Loreto Road, Maryland, pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to violent disorder along with two other men at Morrissey’s Pub in Cork Street.

Thompson was extradited from Amsterdam last May and has been in custody since.

The court heard that the victim never made a complaint to gardai and although there were many people in the pub at the time on January 7, 2013, no one came forward to make witness statements.

“There was no co-operation,” Garda Seamus O’Donovan said before he confirmed there was no victim impact report before the court.

Thompson was nominated as a suspect after gardai viewed CCTV footage from the pub.

He has 29 previous convictions including a three-year jail term for an assault causing harm and two year prison sentence for endangerment.

A second man Anthony Harte (24) of Stephen’s Road, Inchicore, also pleaded guilty to violent disorder and was previously given 220 hours community service by Judge Mary Ellen Ring in lieu of a two year prison term. He had four previous District Court convictions.

A third man who was not named in court was recently acquitted of violent disorder by a jury following a trial at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.

Judge Martin Nolan said in all probability, Thompson started the row and noted that he threw a bottle at someone.

He said it was “a quite serious fracas” in which many people were involved. He backdated the sentence of 20 months to May 23, 2014 when Thompson was first remanded in custody.

Thompson’s lawyer said the “event was sparked by what started out as slagging” to which his client had an unacceptable reaction to.

He told Judge Nolan that Thompson wished to offer his apologies to the court and the people in the pub at the time.

Gda O’Donovan said the footage showed Harte, Thompson and a third man together in the back area of the bar before Thompson came up to the victim, shook his hand and slapped him across the face. He then returned to Harte and the other man.

Harte was then seen walking past the man and staring at him before returning again to the group and finally the third man approached the victim and put his arm around his neck.

Gda O’Donovan said the victim stood up to this third man and Thompson and Harte joined them. Harte could then be seen kicking and punching the man before Thompson hits an unknown woman.

A large amount of people became involved and the court heard it is not clear what role Thompson played in this melee.