| 9.7°C Dublin

'Fat' Freddie rival who broke garda's finger is locked up

A CRIMINAL who is under active threat from the 'Fat' Freddie Thompson gang has been jailed for four months for breaking a garda's finger during a struggle following his arrest.

Gerard Eglington (25) also told officers that he would "cut their kids open" during the incident at Kevin Street Station.

Eglington deliberately trapped the victim's finger in handcuffs at the station and warned he would "not stop until his hand was broken".

Dublin District Court heard Garda Robert Barber had to spend three months off work with his hand in a splint following the incident in which he was removing the cuffs from Eglington in 2008.

Eglington's life has been in constant danger in recent months -- ever since he was present during an incident in which 'Fat' Freddie Thompson's brother Richie suffered a broken leg and his wife Catherine was stabbed in the face in a south city pub in March.

At a court hearing in July, he was attacked by a notorious criminal as he stood in the witness box. Eglington was giving evidence when a rival jumped from the body of the court and punched him in the face.


He had appeared on court on that occasion on foot of a bench warrant after he failed to show up at a sentencing hearing when his solicitor informed the court that there was a threat against his life.

Originally from Markievicz House flats in Dublin, Eglington is closely associated with a young criminal who has had two relatives murdered in the Crumlin/Drimnagh gang war.

Eglington's most notorious criminal conviction relates to when he was a passenger in a stolen car that collided with a garda car on the Stillorgan Dual carriageway in April 2002 killing gardai Tony Tighe and Michael Padden.

He was jailed for four years for that offence after he pleaded guilty to unlawfully taking possession of the car and allowing himself to be carried in a stolen vehicle. He was also banned from driving for 10 years.

In the latest case, Judge William Hamill found him guilty and imposed the four-month sentence on Monday.