| 7.2°C Dublin

Family's plea to find dead man's sons

Close

Brian Corr may have been dead for five weeks.

Brian Corr may have been dead for five weeks.

Brian Corr may have been dead for five weeks.

THE family of a man who lay dead in a retirement complex for five weeks fear that his two grown-up sons will miss his funeral.

The body of Brian Corr (62) was discovered at Ballsbridge a fortnight ago.

His remains are believed to have lay unnoticed for at least five weeks, despite the complex being run and monitored by Dublin City Council.

Mr Corr's body is due to released from the city morgue this week and a Funeral Mass and burial have been planned for Thursday.

RADIATOR

But in a further blow to his distraught family, efforts to make contact with his two grown-up sons have so far proved unsuccessful.

"My kids have been on Facebook trying to get in touch with Brian's two lads so that we can give them the funeral details," said his brother Seamus.

"They are in their 30s and living abroad. They left Ireland years ago and we don't know where they are.

"We'd love them to be at the funeral but we don't know whether they even know he is dead," he added.

Gardai found Brian Corr's body lying under a radiator at his downstairs apartment in the Beggars Bush Court complex on the Shelbourne Road just over two weeks ago.

The family say they were upset and angry after Dublin City Council sent a letter demanding the payment of outstanding rent to Mr Corr while he was lying dead.

According to his brother, a second letter has since arrived warning him to deal with his arrears.

"It's just unbelievable that they were able to send letters to him, yet couldn't notice that he had been dead for weeks," said Seamus.

The city council said that it provides a five-day liaison service to residents in all its sheltered complexes, but that it is up to them to decide whether to use it.

INVESTIGATION

However Age Action Ireland described the length of time during which Mr Corr's body remained undiscovered as a "scandal".

Junior Minister Joe Costello and Fine Gael TD Eoghan Murphy have called on the council to launch an investigation.

noconnor@herald.ie


Privacy