| 5.3°C Dublin

Family turn off life-support as backpacker Dylan loses his battle

A young music lover who spent the last three weeks fighting for his life in Thailand has died.

Dylan Curran (26) from Bray, Co Wicklow, died after his family made the decision to switch off his life-support machine.

He was flown back to Ireland by air ambulance on Monday and passed away in hospital on Wednesday night. His family and close friends had been maintaining a vigil by his bedside.

The Herald understands that some of Dylan's organs will be donated.

Friends of Dylan organised a massive Oasis-themed fundraiser last week which is understood to have raised over €20,000.

Several high-profile celebrities such as Laura Whitmore and KT Tunstall made public tributes to the young man in the days leading up to his death.

Tunstall took time out of her Japanese tour to be photographed holding up a poster which read: "To Dylan Be Strong Please Get Well Soon".

Dylan's friends today were still coming to terms with the loss of "a complete legend".

One close pal told the Herald: "We knew he was up against it but we always hoped he might come through. We're all numb to be honest. I just can't believe somebody as popular and bubbly as Dylan is gone. It's so sad. We all feel for his family."

The electrician is understood to have been suffering from a heart condition and collapsed just over three weeks ago.

He had been travelling throughout Asia with friends and his sister April for the past year and last month stopped over in Thailand.

He had suffered a swimming pool accident a few days beforehand but it is not yet established whether this contributed to his death.

News of his condition quickly spread back to his hometown, and prompted his friends to plan a fundraising event which was held in Bray last Friday night.

Local councillor Mick Glynn said the young man will be missed by "everyone in the community".

"He was a very popular young man. He was so well-known and well-liked and last week's fundraiser showed that. My thoughts and condolences are now with his family at this very difficult time."