| 10.5°C Dublin

Family bids a tragic farewell to Emily - days after blessing

THE FAMILY of a promising young Irish lawyer are preparing to say their final goodbyes -- just days after her wedding was blessed in her local church.

Law student Emily Maguire had made the pilgrimage home to Ireland after her marriage to US Navy diver Sean Kennedy in America.

Emily died when the jeep she was a passenger in was involved in a three-vehicle collision at a notorious junction near Drogheda.

Her brother Paul (35), who was driving, and her mother Maire were treated in Our Lady of Lourdes hospital.

Heartbroken widower Sean said that he knew they were "perfect" for each other after they met in 2005 when Emily was on a J1 visa.


Sean (34) paid a touching tribute to his beautiful young wife and recalled the first time they met.

"She came out with her friends and they moved into the same apartment complex [as me]," he said. "We were perfect for each other.

"We had a long distance relationship from San Diego to Ireland until she came out [to live] and we got married then," he added.

Emily and Sean were living in San Diego and married in a civil ceremony in America in February 2010.

But Emily (28) was always keen to have her wedding blessed in Irish in her local parish. Family and friends had travelled from as far away as Australia for the celebration, which coincided with the Christening of Emily's nephew Louis John.

Emily had secured a Masters in Law in Ireland and last month took her New York bar exams. She planned to then take her California bar exams so she could practise as a lawyer in San Diego and settle down with her husband.

But instead of returning to the US to continue his new life, Emily's devastated husband Sean and her family are now preparing to say their final goodbyes.


Emily had been planning her return to Ireland for several months -- and had a blessing ceremony in the Church of the Immaculate Conception, in Termonfeckin, Co Louth, on Saturday.

Her brother Terrance christened his child Louis John on that Sunday.

Parents John and Marie were due to fly to Italy for a holiday with their son Anthony, who had travelled from Melbourne, Australia with his wife and child.

The fourth boy in the Maguire family, John Marcus, was also being comforted last night.

Last night her remains were brought back to her family home in Termonfeckin, just a short distance from the crash scene.