| 12.4°C Dublin

Families flee in pyjamas as fire threatens flats

RESIDENTS of a Dublin apartment block were forced to flee in their pyjamas today as it was engulfed in smoke.

Dozens of firefighters rushed to the apartment block in Swords at 4am after a fire was reported in a groundfloor hallway in the complex.

At one point, 10 to 12 people were stranded on the roof of the building seeking to be rescued but were later able to be led to safety by members of Dublin fire brigade.

Teams of firefighters broke in the doors of each apartment in the complex to ensure all the occupants were evacuated to safety.

The fire broke out around 4am at Walton Hall in Thornley Road in Swords. The building filled with smoke and a full evacuation was organised by fire brigade teams and gardai.

"Toxic smoke was rising up through the building," a member of Dublin Fire Brigade told the Herald.

One woman was taken from the scene by ambulance for hospital treatment. Gardai said the scene of the blaze was being preserved for forensic examination to find the cause of the fire.