| 6°C Dublin

Explosion at home leaves boy (5) critical

A boy is critical in hospital after he was caught in an explosion at his home.

The five-year-old is in intensive care at Crumlin Children's Hospital after he suffered burns to up to a third of his body.

The boy, named locally as Tadhg McEneff, was injured in a mystery blast in his home.

Four units of the Dublin Fire Brigade were called to Moatview Avenue, Priorswood, north Dublin, after they had received calls about an explosion in the area.

Paramedics rushed the young boy to Temple Street Children's Hospital after he was believed to have suffered burns to a third of his body.

The child was later transferred to the burns unit at Crumlin Children's Hospital where doctors are continuing to treat his serious injuries.

His distraught parents are keeping a bedside vigil, according to a neighbour.

Locals in the area are said to be in a state of shock after hearing news of the unfortunate accident and told of their prayers for the little boy and his family.

It is understood that the explosion occurred at 3pm yesterday and may have been sparked after a lighter came in contact with inflammable material. No other individual was caught up in the explosion and there was no significant damage done to the house.

Builders were carrying out refurbishment work at the affected home last night.

Local parish priest Father Terry Murray of Our Lady's Church in Darndale said he had a terrible sense of fear after he had passed by the house.

"I drove past the house and saw the ambulance outside," he said. "Our thoughts and prayers are with the family at the moment."

Local councillor Andrew Montague said that it was a freak accident.

"It's a terrible shame, it seems at the moment that like this was a tragic accident."

Locals also expressed their shock at the news of the incident One neighbour today said: "When I got home last night, one of the neighbours told me there had been some sort of explosion or a fire in the house and that young Tadhg had been rushed to hospital. I hope he's alright, but I hear the family are very upset."

It's not known whether the incident was connected to the construction work taking place at the terraced house on Moatview Avenue in Priorswood in Darndale. When contacted by the Herald, a family member insisted the injured youngster was going to be alright and added that he had no further comment to make.

It's understood the house where the accident happened was owned by the younster's grandfather, Leo McEneff and his wife.

Cllr Larry O'Toole (SF) also added his sympathy for the McEneff family in the wake of the incident.

"The family are good people who have been living there for many years and all I can say is I hope the little lad is OK and will make a good recovery," he said.