THE ESB has pleaded guilty to failing in its duty to ensure the safety of an apprentice electrician who died carrying out work at a substation in Dublin.
The energy company is accused of breaking the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act, which can result in a €3m fine.
Shane Conlon (22), of Santry, Dublin, was electrocuted while carrying out maintenance work at a substation in Finglas on January 15 last year.
Criminal proceedings were brought following an investigation into Mr Conlon's death by the Health & Safety Authority.
At Dublin District Court yesterday, prosecution counsel Antonia Boyle told Judge John O'Neill that the DPP has directed "trial on indictment".
The ESB was represented by counsel who told the court that there was a "signed plea" and the "paperwork is in order".
Judge O'Neill ordered that the ESB was being sent forward "for sentencing" at the next sittings of Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.
The signed guilty plea has been offered to a charge stating that the ESB failed to ensure the safety of an employee.
There were no visual warning signs placed inside the substation to warn employees there was a live apparatus overhead.