| 5.4°C Dublin

Empty homes handed to McFeely victims

DISPLACED residents of the 'firetrap' Priory Hall were today preparing to move into temporary housing.

Dublin City Council was due to allocate vacant houses and apartments to the 180 residents who have been living in hotels since their homes were evacuated due to fire safety concerns last month.

It is understood that 37 of the properties being allocated have been provided by NAMA and a further five from a voluntary housing organisation.

Residents of the Donaghmede complex have endured a nightmare few weeks after learning their lives were at risk due to severe structural defects.

And local representatives have mounted pressure on council management to release two unpublished reports which are understood to have identified further serious concerns relating to gas fixtures, electrics and drainage problems.



FRUSTRATED

However, the reports are only likely to be released to residents if they are filed as part of ongoing High Court proceedings against developers Tom McFeely (pictured) and Larry O'Mahony.

NAMA has produced a list of over 330 vacant houses and apartments -- which includes properties in areas such as Finglas, Baldoyle, Clongriffin and Belmayne. Dublin City Council has confirmed that the 37 properties were to be allocated to families from 2pm today from an office in Clongriffin.

Families have been designated a property to suit their needs -- taking into account schools and workplaces.

But the news of temporary housing has come as little relief to many frustrated families.

Darren Kelly-- who has been staying in the Regency Hotel with his wife and two children for the last fortnight -- said the offer was only temporary.

"It's been tough living out a of bag, especially with two kids. An apartment is somewhat better, but it's still just a short-term solution to a long-term problem," he said.

And Mr Kelly emphasised the importance of being provided with the unpublished reports so that the true extent of the safety risks are known.

Despite objections, Mr McFeely commissioned the ordered work on the complex, which began last week. The High Court admitted that it was not within its powers to direct council management to commission another party to complete the work, which must be finished by November 28.

herald@hnews.ie


Privacy