| 16.8°C Dublin

Dwyer attacked in jail after accusing inmate of spreading rumours


Graham Dwyer

Graham Dwyer

Graham Dwyer

Depraved murderer Graham Dwyer is recovering after he was assaulted by a rapist in prison - almost a year to the day he was found guilty of the murder of Elaine O'Hara.

The former architect became involved in an altercation with a convicted rapist on the E3-landing of the Midland's Prison.

Sources revealed how Dwyer became "furious" when he discovered that the sex offender - Noel Maher (44) - was allegedly spreading rumours about him.

It is believed that Dwyer confronted Maher on Good Friday in a rage and proceeded to push him, demanding to know why there were rumours circulating about him.

However Maher - who is serving a prison term for the sexual assault and rape of his stepdaughter - punched the convicted killer, sending him crashing to the ground in pain.

Dwyer did not require hospital treatment for his injuries, but was locked into his cell for a number of hours following the incident.

"It was all over fairly quickly. Dwyer thought he was being the big man, but he was put in his place," a source said.

"He didn't need stitches, but his ego definitely took a hit. It was all sorted and the two eventually shook hands afterwards," the source added.


It is believed the killer confronted Maher as he believed the alleged rumours spreading around the prison could affect his upcoming appeal for the murder of Elaine O'Hara (36).

Dwyer was convicted of her murder after a nine-week trial on March 27 last year.

Ms O'Hara's remains were found in forestry on Killakee Mountain, Rathfarnham on September 13, 2013.

Dwyer's attacker, registered sex offender Noel Maher, formerly of Barrow Way, Spa Street, Portarlington, was sentenced to 14-years imprisonment after he was found guilty of raping his stepdaughter.

Maher began sexually assaulting the young girl in August 2001, when she was 10 years old and began raping her when she was aged 13.

The trial at the Central Criminal Court heard that in November 2009 gardai were called to the home address where an argument between the man and his stepdaughter was taking place.

In the course of the argument, the victim, who was 18 at the time, told gardai she had been raped and sexually assaulted by her step-father over an eight-year period.

She said that he started to sexually assault her when she was between 10 and 13 years of age and told her "this is what is going to happen".

She told gardai she recalled a threat from him that if she told anyone he would kill her and harm her siblings.