| 16°C Dublin

Dublin Bus lifts ban after stone attacks

Dublin Bus has lifted its night-time ban on services to Ballybrack – imposed after objects were thrown at a vehicle.

The attack happened last week when objects, including stones, were thrown at a bus at the junction of Wyattville Road and Churchview Road in Ballybrack.

Dublin Bus then put restrictions in place, explaining that: "The safety of our passengers and our own staff is of utmost importance to us."

However, following discussions this week, the restrictions have been lifted.

Dublin Bus told the Herald that it had reinstated the evening service on routes 7 and 45a into Churchview Road and Wyattville Road from yesterday evening.

Policing

A forum was held earlier this week to discuss how a solution could be achieved.

A bus spokeswoman said that the policing forum in the Dun Laoghaire and Ballybrack area had met on Tuesday night.

"At the meeting, An Garda Siochana agreed to increase their presence in the area of Wyattville Road and Church-view Road in Ballybrack.

"Also, Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council has agreed to remove debris around roadworks in the area."

The company then monitored the situation in the intervening days, before deciding to lift the curtailments yesterday.

Local councillor Hugh Lewis said: "I hope the measures in place, including extra patrols by the gardai will ensure Dublin Bus drivers will feel secure enough to sustain our service that is so badly needed."

fdillon@herald.ie


Privacy