| 5°C Dublin

Drunken Scot was upset over Bobby Sands

A DRUNKEN Scotsman arrested for calling staff in a Dublin hotel "Orange b***ards" has promised to leave the country if he is not sent to jail.

Dublin District Court heard that William Dunne (52) became upset while commemorating the 1981 death of IRA hunger striker Bobby Sands. He wandered into the former Burlington Hotel and began abusing employees.

Dunne promised a judge he will return to Scotland if he is left without a jail sentence for the offence.

The court heard he had been in Ireland for 20 years and had a criminal record of 155 convictions.

Judge James Faughnan adjourned the case, warning him to stay out of trouble in the meantime.

Dunne, with an address at Camden Hall Hostel, Camden Street, pleaded guilty to public intoxication and causing a breach of the peace at the Double Tree by Hilton Hotel in Burlington Road.

The court heard gardai were called at 10.25pm last May 5 following complaints that the accused was "causing hassle" in the hotel.

He was abusive to staff, calling one an "Orange b***ard" and telling another to "f*** off" in front of guests and members of the public.

The court heard that of his prior convictions, 92 were for public order offences.

His other convictions were for offences including theft.


Dunne was born and grew up in Glasgow, his solicitor Declan Fahy said.

He had worked in Scotland and England as a bricklayer before coming to Ireland 20 years ago.

He drifted into alcoholism after his marriage broke up.

On the day of the incident, he was highly-intoxicated and wandered into the hotel, where he "clearly wasn't welcome".

He had been drinking because it was the anniversary of hunger striker Bobby Sands' death in 1981.

"That was what upset him," Mr Fahy said.

"He is even more upset now that Scotland has voted against independence."

Dunne had only started getting into trouble since he came to Ireland.

He was of "virtually no means" and now lived in hostels.

The accused said he was keen to return to Scotland.

He intended leaving Ireland as soon as he was free from custody.

Dunne told the judge that he had worked all his life until he was incapacitated by a serious assault and injury.

"If you could see your way to letting me go, I'll go back to Glasgow," he said.

Judge Faughnan adjourned the case to October 28 and said he would deal with the matter leniently if the accused was indeed intent on leaving the country.

He also warned Dunne not to come to the attention of the gardai again.