| 10.4°C Dublin

Drugs thrown out of window landed on detective's head

A BUNGLING drug dealer was caught red-handed by gardai after he threw a bag of heroin out the top window of the house, hitting a detective garda on the head.

Jeremy Cooper (40), of Kilcronan Avenue, Clondalkin, was caught with €200,000 worth of heroin and other drug paraphernalia in his home.

He was sentenced to 12 years in prison at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court last week.

In December, he was held in contempt of court after breaching a court order not to attend a murder trial, when it was suggested that his presence was intimidating witnesses.

Cooper and Anna Marie Byrne (34), also of Kilcronan Avenue, were caught with the drugs when gardai raided their home in February last year.

Two bags of heroin were thrown from an upstairs window as gardai were in the process of forcing their way into their house.

The raid on the house was carried out by officers from Clondalkin drug and district detective units.

Byrne received a suspended sentence for allowing the drugs to be prepared in their home.

A search later revealed two bullet-proof vests and a pair of leather gloves.

Gardai also found knives, a spoon, scissors, a grey digital weighing scales and two further bags of cocaine sitting on a desk in another smaller bedroom.

Cooper pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to having the drugs for sale or supply on February 15, 2008.

He has 24 additional previous convictions including armed robbery, false imprisonment and other drug offences for which he has spent many years in jail.


Byrne pleaded guilty to allowing her premises to be used for the preparation and production of heroin at the same date and in the same place.

She had no previous convictions and the couple have three children between them. Judge Desmond Hogan sentenced Byrne to four years in prison which he suspended in full.

He said he was satisfied that "she was a minor player in a very serious offence" but she nonetheless knew that the drugs and paraphernalia were in the house.

Judge Hogan said that Cooper was in a "different category" and was a man who was involved in "serious criminal activity".

"He has served long prison sentences for serious offences and no sooner was he out of jail, having served a 14-year term, than he commits another offence again," Judge Hogan said.

He suspended the last three years of the sentence on the condition that he keep the peace and be of good behaviour for 12 years upon his release from prison.