| 11.9°C Dublin

Drug smuggler gets six years

A Polish man who imported cocaine valued at €55,139 into Dublin Airport from Amsterdam concealed in 80 pellets in his stomach has been given a six-year sentence.

Piotr Trawnik (27) agreed to transport the drugs in return for a small payment while he was homeless in Amsterdam after losing his job in construction.

Trawnik, of Korczak, Kalisz, Poland, pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to possession of the drugs for sale or supply at Dublin Airport on March 18, 2009.

Girl attacked Aussie woman

A 15-year-old girl who was "roaming the streets" and homeless when she attacked an Australian woman in Dublin city centre has been remanded on continuing bail pending sentence.

The girl, who has since been placed in a Health Service Executive unit for young people in care, had pleaded guilty at the Dublin Children's Court to assaulting the 26-year-old woman on Moore Street, on October 27 last.

Yesterday, Judge Clare Leonard adjourned sentencing until May 20 next.

Douglas's son refused bail

A US federal judge has denied bail for the son of actor Michael Douglas in a drug dealing case.

Cameron Douglas pleaded guilty in January to dealing large quantities of methamphetamine and cocaine while holed up in a trendy New York hotel. The 31-year-old Douglas was arrested last July at the Hotel Gansevoort in downtown Manhattan.

He faces a minimum 10-year prison term at his sentencing in April.

Seinfeld faces police probe

The New York Police Department is investigating why a Bronx police sign was displayed in comedian Jerry Seinfeld's car.

Seinfeld spokeswoman Elizabeth Clark Zoia has said that the performer wasn't aware of the parking placard, which belonged to Seinfeld's longtime driver, a retired police officer.

She says the driver became concerned for Seinfeld's safety when he arrived with the comedian to the studio where his new show is being filmed and found a crowd outside. She says the driver apparently posted the placard briefly so he could escort Seinfeld inside.

The spokeswoman says now that it's been brought to their attention it won't be used again.

Police say their records indicate the paper placard had been turned in at the end of 2007, and they're investigating.