| 9.5°C Dublin

Donations flood in to cover funeral expenses of one-punch attack victim


The scene in Cow’s Lane where Mr O’Connor was attacked

The scene in Cow’s Lane where Mr O’Connor was attacked

Dad-of-three Garreth O’Connor was killed in a one-punch attack

Dad-of-three Garreth O’Connor was killed in a one-punch attack

Scene of the attack at Cow's Lane

Scene of the attack at Cow's Lane


Donations have flooded in for the family of a Dublin man killed in a one-punch attack, following a fundraising appeal to help pay for his funeral.

Gareth O'Connor (27), known affectionately as Garzy, from Harelawn in Clondalkin, died on Friday, less than 24 hours after he was attacked in Temple Bar.

Now a heartfelt appeal has been launched by friends of the late Arthur Griffith Park FC footballer to help cover funeral expenses and other costs.

Paula Haverty, who is running the online petition, wrote that Mr O'Connor lost both of his parents at a young age.

"He had shown from an early age he was a fighter when he survived a second-floor fall when he was young," the Go Fund Me appeal reads.

"Life for him was one great battle after another . . . he conquered a lot of them.

"The community of Harelawn is also heartbroken to lose Gareth in such a tragic way.

"We, as a community of Clondalkin, took the family in once before when it was needed. It is with great sadness that it's needed again," it concludes.


Gareth's mother, Esther, lost her life in a house fire in December 2001.

Mr O'Connor is survived by his partner and their three children, two sons and a daughter.

The popular dad-of-three died as a result of an attack in Cow's Lane (above) on Thursday night at around 8.45pm.

He was socialising with a group of friends, including his brother and nephew, when they became involved in a verbal altercation with another group.

Four men were arrested in connection with the incident and a file is being prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions.

Gardai are continuing to appeal for footage they believe witnesses may have captured of the incident on mobile phones.


It emerged that the man who is suspected of allegedly attacking Mr O'Connor was knocked unconscious during the melee and was treated in hospital for facial injuries.

The fund for the late Dubliner had reached more than €1,000 at the time of writing. Organisers are hoping to each €5,000 through the drive.

Donations can be made: here.