| 5.7°C Dublin

Dean's stepdad to return home to face charges

THE father and aunt of tragic Dean Fitzpatrick want "justice to take its course" after it emerged that his mother's partner Dave Mahon will be charged in relation to his death.

Christine Kenny, the sister of Dean's dad Christopher, told the Herald: "At the moment the police are doing their work.

"We don't know anything about it and we don't want to say anything about it. Just let justice take its course."


Dean (23), the brother of missing Amy Fitzpatrick, was killed by his mother Audrey Fitzpatrick's partner, Mr Mahon, on May 25 last year.

Mr Mahon (42) has admitted to the killing but said that it was accidental. He said Dean ran at him while he was holding a knife that he had moments earlier taken from his stepson.

Gardai arrested Mr Mahon but later released him without charge while a file was prepared for the DPP.

Speaking after being released from custody, Mr Mahon said: "It was a complete accident."

He and Ms Fitzpatrick (45) live together in Spain, but Mr Mahon had told gardai following Dean's death that he would return to Ireland if necessary.

Amy and Dean went to live in Spain in 2004 and were living there with their mother and her partner, when Amy went missing. She was last seen walking home from a friend's house near Mijas on the Costa del Sol at about 10pm on New Year's Day 2008.

The couple has stayed in Spain to keep up the search for missing Amy.

Speaking to the Star, Mr Mahon revealed how he had been contacted and asked to return to Ireland to face a charge related to Dean's death, though he wasn't told what the charge would be.

He is expected to appear in court early next week.

"I gave gardai my word when we went back to Spain that I would come back if requested and that is what I'm going to do," he said.

"I have already informed gardai that I will be back in the coming days."

The inquest into Dean's death heard he died after died after he was stabbed in the abdomen at an apartment in Coolock, north Dublin.


The father-of-one was rushed to Beaumont Hospital but pronounced dead soon after. Dean's funeral was the subject of a High Court case in which a judge directed the release of his body to his partner and mother of toddler son Sarah O'Rourke.

The decision was made following a dispute between his parents over where he should be buried. The funeral was delayed because of the row.