| 6.9°C Dublin

Dad was hacked to death in front of wife, children


Murder victim Mikolaj Wilk

Murder victim Mikolaj Wilk

Murder victim Mikolaj Wilk

A gardener died from horrific injuries when he was attacked by a machete-wielding gang in front of his wife and children.

The revelation came as the inquest into the death of Mikolaj Wilk (35) was adjourned after gardai said their murder investigation was continuing.

Coroner Dr Philip Comyn heard the father-of-two was subjected to a frenzied attack by a masked gang at his home in Maglin, outside Ballincollig, Co Cork, at 3am last June 10.

Up to four men forced their way into the property and attacked Mr Wilk in front of his terrified wife and two young children.


Assistant State Pathologist Dr Margaret Bolster told the Cork inquest that Polish-born Mr Wilk suffered multiple injuries.

"The cause of death was haemorrhage and shock due to multiple blows with a sharp weapon and a traumatic brain injury," she said.

Det Insp Vincent O'Sullivan asked for the inquest to be adjourned until April 4.

"This is a live investigation," he said. "There are several areas of investigation ongoing."

Mr Wilk's wife, Elzbieta, and his two children have returned to Poland. She also suffered serious injuries in the attack.

In July, gardai conducted an examination of a number of vehicles seized in raids across Cork as part of the hunt for the killers of Mr Wilk.

Detectives believe a Cork-based gang may have carried out the savage killing on the orders of an East European criminal organisation that held a grudge against Mr Wilk.

The gang, based in the Baltic states, are notorious for their brutality.

Another theory is that the attack could have been a warning to others.

A garda source said between eight and 10 people may have been involved, several of whom are believed to have fled Ireland within 24 hours of the attack.


Six houses and an industrial property were raided by gardai in the greater Cork area as part of a co-ordinated operation.

Nine vehicles were also seized as gardai looked for blood or DNA links to Mr Wilk.

No arrests have been made, but gardai said they are making "steady but significant progress".

Mrs Wilk underwent surgery for severe machete cuts that she received as she tried to protect her children.

A woman who was renting a room in the house was able to flee unharmed from the property.

A short time later, a get-away car used by the gang was discovered burnt-out in the Waterfall area.