| 15.2°C Dublin

Dad-of-two left to die in car as group 'driven away' from scene


The wreckage at the scene after two cars collided, with one man dying

The wreckage at the scene after two cars collided, with one man dying

The wreckage at the scene after two cars collided, with one man dying

Gardai are treating the death of a man in a road crash in Dublin as a hit-and-run after reports that the occupants of one car fled the scene after being picked up by a second immediately afterwards.

The crash happened not long after midnight yesterday at the top of a slip road close to Blanchardstown shopping centre.

Chinese national Hong Qing Qu died from the injuries he received when an Audi A3 with Limerick registration plates smashed into his Mitsubishi Colt.

The married father of two small children was left alone to die on the roadside when the occupants of the Audi were picked up by another car and driven away.


The 33-year-old victim had been delivering fast food meals at the time of the crash. He lived in the Castlecurragh estate in Dublin 15.

Witnesses said at least four people who were in the Audi were picked up by the second car.

Gardai suspect that a man who was driven to Connolly Hospital with leg fractures around the same time was involved in the crash.

A car matching the description of the one that was seen leaving the scene of the crash was later stopped and the occupants were questioned by gardai, but no immediate arrests were made.

The driver of the Mitsubishi was critically injured at the scene, suffering multiple fractures to his legs and body.

Emergency services had to cut him from the wreckage of his car and take him out the passenger side.

He was pronounced dead shortly after being rushed to Connolly Hospital.

His car was hit at speed on the driver's side, and he took the brunt of the impact.

The airbags deployed in the Audi with the force of the collision, saving the occupants from serious injury.

"This poor man was left to die," a source said.

"He was abandoned in his mangled vehicle on the road and it was other motorists who raised the alarm.

"What happened was grossly callous and showed a total disrespect for human life.

"He had been going about his business trying to support his young family. Nobody should ever die like that."

Gardai are following a definite line of inquiry in their investigations, but have appealed for witnesses to come forward.

The cause of the accident is not yet known.

There was massive damage caused in the crash, which also demolished a set of traffic lights.

"At approximately 00.35 a 33-year-old male was seriously injured when the car he was driving collided with a second car," said a garda spokesman.

"He was taken by ambulance to Connolly Hospital in Blanchardstown where he was pronounced dead a short time later.

"The occupants of the second car failed to remain at the scene."


Gardai carried out a thorough examination of the scene yesterday morning. The road was closed and diversions were put in place.

The coroner's office was also notified after the fatality.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Blanchardstown Garda Station 01 666 7000, the Garda Confidential Line 1800 666 111 or any Garda Station.