A fATHER-of-two's body lay undiscovered in a residential complex for the elderly for over five weeks.
Brian Corr (62) was found by gardai at his Dublin 4 home after worried neighbours contacted authorities.
His remains were discovered lying under a radiator in his flat in the Beggars Bush Court complex in Ballsbridge.
Mr Corr, a former magazine seller, had lived in the residence – which is run by Dublin City Council – for over five years.
His cause of death is unknown but gardai have ruled out foul play.
Mr Corr's family now want "answers" from Dublin City Council as to how his remains lay undetected for five weeks.
"This is sheltered accommodation. The residents are supposed to be checked upon regularly," his brother Seamus (66) told the Herald.
"His body was so decomposed, we couldn't even identify him. We're just devastated," Seamus added.
It's believed that Mr Corr was last seen by his neighbour, Andrew Keefe, in late March.
He was described as a "recluse" who interacted very little with those living in the complex, which is located on the Shelbourne Road.
A number of neighbours contacted Dublin City Council claiming that they hadn't seen Mr Corr for a number of weeks and that a smell was coming from his apartment.
"It's extremely distressing to think that this man who lived so close to us was lying dead for at least five weeks. Was he properly checked upon? What efforts did the council make to see how he was?" Mr Keefe told the Herald.
"In this day and age, for a man to lie dead in his home for such a long period of time, is very saddening."
It's understood that council officials tried to call Mr Corr a number of times in the weeks during which he lay dead.
His next door neighbour said Mr Corr's death had caused her "huge distress".
"I haven't been able to sleep since it happened. I used to leave food at his door and phoned him to see if he was okay. But the stench just got horrendous and I phoned Dublin City Council.
"I just cannot believe he was dead for that period of time."
The council called gardai on Wednesday after receiving no answer at Mr Corr's apartment.
A female garda was the first person to enter the flat.
Sources say the man's body was in a "desperate state" – with his DNA being sent to a laboratory in the UK for identification.
The results of a post mortem have not yet been published.
According to Mr Corr's brother, Seamus, the 62-year-old had made very little contact with family in the weeks before his death occurred.
"He kept to himself. He was quiet and anti-social in recent times. We are just shocked that this has happened to our family member," he said.
"We want answers. It's just not acceptable for anyone to being lying dead for five weeks, especially in sheltered accommodation."
Mr Corr had been unemployed in recent years and is a divorcee, originally from Inchicore. His two grown-up children live in the capital.
Dublin City Council was sent a series of questions by the Herald but could not provide a comment in time for going to print.