| 4.8°C Dublin

Dad confesses to gardai that he killed his sons

THE father who took his two sons from their home has confessed to gardai that he killed them.

Sanjeev Chada (43) was still being questioned today by officers in Westport, Co Mayo, after the bodies of Eoghan (10) and Ruairi (5) were found in the boot of his car.

The Herald has learned that Mr Chada admitted to officers yesterday afternoon that he ended the lives of his and his wife's only children after the three of them left their Carlow home on Sunday evening.

It has emerged that the brothers were killed at Ballintubber Abbey in Mayo – the ancient, religious site not far from Castlebar.

While the time of the boys' deaths is not yet known, the children died from strangulation, but also suffered other injuries.

Mr Chada drove from Carlow to Castlebar via rural roads on Sunday and spent the night in the town.


Last night, the bodies of the two children began their final journey home.

An undertaker from Carlow travelled across the country to receive the remains and bring them back in two white coffins to their heartbroken mother Kathleen.

Two simple bunches of colourful chrysanthemums were laid beside the coffins.

Relatives of the children accompanied the children home to Ballinkillen, Co Carlow.

The two brothers will repose at their home from noon today. A requiem mass will take place at 1pm in St Lazarian's Church, Ballinkillen, tomorrow followed by burial in the adjoining cemetery.

Superintendent David Taylor said gardai were anxious to assist the family in any way.

"We want to give them every courtesy possible to speed up their sad journey back home," he added.

Just hours earlier, Mr Chada was released from the same hospital in Castlebar in a wheelchair, via a back entrance, and was immediately arrested by three detectives.

He was taken to Westport Garda Station where he remained overnight and can be held for 24 hours. He may be questioned in separate six-hour blocks and could be held until tomorrow.


The 43-year-old was treated for minor injuries at Mayo General Hospital in Castlebar for the past two days after he ploughed his Ford Focus into a wall at Rosbeg outside Westport shortly after 3pm on Monday.

He received treatment for soft-tissue injuries sustained after he attempted to commit suicide following the crash.

Medics also assessed whether he was in a fit mental state to be interviewed and finally released him at 12.20pm yesterday.

Gardai continued to question Mr Chada about the route he took across the country.

Earlier yesterday, the family broke their silence when Kathleen's mother Patsy Murphy texted a local radio station to thank the community for its support. In her brief words she said: "All I can say is thank you all for your support at this traumatic time. Patsy".

Presenter Sue Nunn said Patsy – who is sacristan at Ballinkillen Church – is "very much a person at the centre of everything in the community".