| 5.6°C Dublin

Dad and son quizzed over 100 break-ins

A FATHER and son remain in garda custody today, where they are being questioned over more than 100 burglaries in affluent parts of south Dublin over the past two years.

Another suspect is also being questioned by gardai who have smashed a "tightly knit" Polish gang who have targeted dozens of properties in Blackrock, Dun Laoghaire and Shankill from their base in Co Wexford.

Gardai from Blackrock, Dun Laoghaire and local stations, helped by the Regional Support Unit, conducted a number of planned searches at residences in Courtown and Wexford town this morning.

During the course of these searches, house-breaking implements, suspected stolen items including jewellery and watches, locksmiths' tools, car-key grabbers, foreign currency and other items were recovered.

It's estimated the value of stolen goods seized by gardai is at least €15,000.

Three men, aged between 20 and 50, and a woman in her 30s, were arrested at the locations.

The woman was released without charge last night – she is the partner of one of the suspects.


The gang do not use violence during the raids.

Sources say that one member of the gang has managed to escape arrest and is still at large.

A senior source said: "This is a great coup for gardai and the team led by Det Sgt Joe O' Hara.

"The highly unusual thing about this crew – who only number four men – was that they travelled up to Dublin from the country to carry out the burglaries, normally it is the other way around.

"They are a very clean cut crew and they have been at it for almost two years – the modus operandi is for the older man to call to apartments and ring buzzers and knock on doors to determine if anyone is at home.

"If the property is empty, this man's son and two of his associates then enter the house, ransack it and empty the property of all its valuables.

"Reliable intelligence indicates that they have been leaving Co Wexford at 7am every morning, coming up to south Dublin and targeting a number of houses in the same day.

"They then travel back to Co Wexford with the loot – they have been living very quiet lives there and no-one would have suspected what they have been up to."