| 7°C Dublin

Youth threw drug-stuffed egg into jail

A YOUNG man caught throwing an egg stuffed with drugs over a prison wall had been "directed" in the scheme by his inmate brother, a court has heard.

Kevin Wall (20) had climbed into the car park at Wheatfield Prison and was about to toss the cannabis-filled eggshell over the wall when he was apprehended by waiting prison staff.

Blanchardstown District Court heard the egg had €300 worth of cannabis inside.

Wall, of Chaplin's Court, Neilstown Road, Clondalkin, pleaded guilty to two counts of placing controlled drugs – cannabis herb and resin – into a prison on December 30, 2012.

Sgt Maria O'Callaghan told the court the accused went to the jail at 6.20pm and climbed into the car park, where he was apprehended by two prison officers. "At the time, he had a quantity of drugs with him, in an eggshell that was taped to a battery," Sgt O'Callaghan said. "He was attempting to throw it over the wall."

The court heard he had €150 worth of cannabis herb and the same value of resin.

He was arrested and brought to Ronanstown Garda Station, where he made admissions.

The accused had no previous convictions for having drugs, the court heard.


Wall himself had never used drugs, but his brother was a user and was an inmate at the prison at the time, defence solicitor Mairead White said.

His brother got into "difficulties" in the prison and asked Wall to obtain the cannabis.

The prison service appeared to know about the arrangement because they were ready to stop Wall when he entered the grounds. "It was not the most sophisticated of operations," Ms White said.

"It was proposed to Mr Wall that this was a straightforward sort of thing.

"He was trying to help his brother out and was directed by his brother what to do in relation to obtaining the drugs."

The accused said that he no longer had any contact with his brother as a result of the incident.

Judge David McHugh said his "natural compulsion" was to jail the accused, but that he had to "take into consideration the circumstances of each particular case".

He said he was "just about" satisfied to impose a community service order instead of a six-month sentence. Judge McHugh added that it had been a "close call" for the accused.