| 9.9°C Dublin

Woman 'held at knifepoint in store raid'

Armed post office raiders held a knife to the throat of a terrified elderly customer and threatened to kill her unless the postmaster handed over cash, it has been alleged.

Ian Quinn (28) and Ian Stewart (32) were both remanded in custody after appearing in court in connection with the raid in Firhouse last week.

Tallaght District Court heard the woman, who had been in the queue at the time of the afternoon robbery, had to be treated for shock in hospital.

Quinn, of Russell Place and Stewart, of Tymonville Road, both in Tallaght, were remanded in custody after gardai objected to bail in their cases. Both men are charged with robbery, producing knives and making threats to kill in an incident at Firhouse Post Office on January 22 last.

The court heard that two men entered the post office at around 3.54pm and put a knife to the throat of an elderly customer and threatened to kill her unless the postmaster handed over money.

The woman was not injured but was treated in hospital afterwards for trauma.


When they left, the postmaster followed them and watched as they went into nearby Carriglea housing estate. Witnesses notified gardai who responded to a call that the men were leaving the estate in a black old-style Mercedes.

Gardai from Rathfarnham and Tallaght were dispatched, as well as the garda helicopter. The car was seen pulling into St Aonghus Green and two men got out and walked into a house there and out to a rear lane, where they were seen discarding objects.

The garda who approached the men in the laneway said they were the defendants and that they tried to flee but were apprehended.

The court heard three knives, a "substantial amount of money" and clothes including latex gloves were recovered in the lane.

Judge James McDonnell adjourned the case against Quinn until today, when he is due to appear again in Cloverhill District Court for the resumption of his bail hearing. Stewart will appear in Tallaght District Court again tomorrow.