| 5.7°C Dublin

Witness tells of seeing double gang murders


The murder scene in Clondalkin

The murder scene in Clondalkin

The murder scene in Clondalkin

A MAN who narrowly escaped injury when two brothers were murdered in a gangland shooting told their inquest that he fled immediately and did not see the gunmen.

Dayle Devoy was giving evidence at the joint inquest into the deaths of Paul (35) and Kenneth (32) Corbally, from Drumfinn Avenue, Ballyfermot, who were gunned down in a hail of bullets on the Neilstown Road in Clondalkin on the evening of June 28, 2010.

Both men were pronounced dead at the scene.


Gardai had warned the brothers that their lives were in danger.

Dublin Coroner's Court heard that the brothers and Mr Devoy were in a car preparing to drive on to the Neilstown Road when the attack occurred.

Witness Angela Roche, who was not present in court, told gardai she saw a taxi drive up beside the car, which was being driven by Kenneth Corbally, and ram into the side of it.

Two men fired shots into the car from the taxi before getting out and going to the driver's side of the dead men's vehicle where they continued shooting.

Mr Devoy told the court he was in the back seat of the car when the incident happened. He said he did not see the other car approaching.

"I saw the window coming through and I jumped out of the back and hid behind the back wheel.

"I just jumped out and ran," he said.

He told the court he did not see the gunmen.

Witnesses saw three men wearing balaclavas speeding away in the taxi following the incident.

The killers' car, which had been disguised as a taxi, was later found burnt out nearby and both firearms used in the incident were discovered inside. Ballistics examiner Det Gda David O'Leary said that at least 16 shots were discharged from the firearms.

The post-mortem examinations on both men were carried out by deputy state pathologist Dr Michael Curtis.


Seven bullets were recovered from Paul Corbally's body with the injuries to his head and chest described as "catastrophic".

Kenneth Corbally had eight gunshot wounds to the head and chest.

Coroner Dr Brian Farrell said both men would have died instantly.

Det Insp Richard McDonnell told the court that gardai in Ballyfermot had warned the brothers that their lives were in danger.

He said three people were arrested as part of the garda investigation, but no file was sent to the director of public prosecutions.

Nobody has ever been charged or made amenable for the murders, the court heard.

The jury returned a verdict of unlawful killing by persons unknown in the deaths of both men.